On Friday I moved into my permanent living space, Scottish Rite Dormitory, for this school year at UT. I was much more emotional when my parents left on Saturday than when they left me here this time last year for my freshman year. I believe this is partly due to the fact that last year my entire six person family was here moving me in, as well as my roommate's huge family causing me to be so so ready for everyone to get out of that tiny space. Also, I spent a lot of enjoyable time with my parents over the summer and knowing that I will not have that again until Christmas break made me a bit sad.
Fortunately, one of my best friends, Catherine, moved in at the same time as me, so we spent the rest of the day hanging out and catching up on each others' summer. Then, yesterday Kat, another one of my good friends, moved into the dorm, and two other friends came into town after being counselors at Ignite, a Christian camp for incoming freshman. It was so much fun seeing all of these girls who are so close to my heart; girls who I can tell anything; girls who challenge and sharpen me spiritually; girls who I can be completely silly with.
Speaking of being completely silly, Catherine and I met the two girls who came in from camp at Pita Pit on the drag and made a huge scene by jumping into each others arms, hopping up and down, and squealing things like "Oh my gosh! How are you?" We then had excellent conversation about the amazing things God did at Ignite. He specifically used both of their experiences from their freshman year to reassure and guide some of the girls at the camp.
Last night Catherine, Kat and I stayed up until one in the morning talking about our summers. We ranged all topics from the state of our relationship with the Lord to almost crying from laughing so hard about Catherine's stories from working at a children's tennis camp. Overall, the friends I have made so far have defined my college experience; they are one of the best parts of my life here in Austin.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment